Vietnamese-style Lamb, Cashew and Noodle Salad
Fresh basil, mint and cucumbers add a cool, light taste to this summer salad.
- 1 pound lamb loin or fillet (you could also use beef)
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- 4 ounces cellophane or glass noodles (or preferred noodles)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup each roughly chopped basil and mint
- 1 Persian cucumber, shaved thinly with a mandolin or vegetable peeler
- 1 small hot red chili, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon palm or brown sugar
- To make the noodle salad, place noodles in a large dish, cover with hot water and allow to soak for 4 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Drain again and cut into desired sized pieces and combine with the onions and herbs
- Whisk together the remaining dressing ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Pour over the cucumber and allow to marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- Brush the lamb with oil and season. Heat a cast iron grill or pan over medium high heat and grill for 3-4 minutes each side for medium rare or until cooked as desired. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice thinly.
- Combine the noodles, lamb, cucumber with dressing and toss with chopsticks or tongs. Serve into bowls and scatter with the nuts.